Thursday, January 3, 2013

Transitioning

What I've learned in the past three months: I love what I do.

I am blessed beyond blessed.
Getting to know these students has been quite the adventure. I was pretty psyched in the beginning to be staffing a school, and then preparing the school was rather difficult. Once the school began, it's safe to say my heart wasn't necessarily in the right place. I was worried more about how everything was running, if thing's weren't being done "by book" I was stressed and confused, and basically worrying about all the little things that help make it run, while being a bit blind to the relationship aspect. I wanted to serve our students; I sub-consciously thought it was by having everything ready and in running order, when in reality I needed to put the details on the back burner and be more focused on the person.
I'd say it was a Martha/Mary situation.
Know what that means?
Luke 10:38-42 "As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things but few things are needed - or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

That is a small glimpse into the Martha and Mary I am talking about.
Sometime's its easy to want to have everything prepared and in great running order, but not having the best motives, unintentionally. 
Needless to say, over a few weeks God revealed to me where my heart was, and it was a rude awakening. It was about the time my "sarcasm" blog was posted, and I realized how much damage I had caused in some relationships, simply because I had the wrong view.
Thus, why do I love what I do? Because I'm constantly in check with the Lord and surrounded by great people who can give correction in a loving manner. I've learned heaps and grown more in three months than I have in years.

And now! My students are gone on outreach, and today a new school has commenced! We have 20 students - from England, Australia, Germany, Canada, USA. 
Aside from the growth I've personally had, another reason I love what I do is the end result. Seeing people's lives be rocked by Christ and their lives changed dramatically, there's nothing better! The students that I said goodbye to a week ago are definitely not the same students that arrived three months ago. And now, we are doing it all again. 
It was great to meet the students today at Registration Day and see how different they are from my last students! I love God's timing, who he places with who, and being able to have a different understanding for this new school. I know I'm going to see fruit produced, and see changes in each individual. I'm so excited for these young men and women, and the journey that is before them that they have NO idea bout! I definitely feel more prepared, am stoked for my new one-on-one girls, my new small group and my potential Outreach group!

Needless to say, with all of this excitement I am also in a bit of a bind this quarter. The last school I rushed in to, arrived a little less than two weeks before the school started, ran with it and decided I definitely want to do this missionary business long term. Since this decision and confirmation from the Lord, I need to build a support group. I will need monthly support, yearly support, a one time donation, whatever anyone feels on their heart to do. I have housing/food fees, along with basic necessities, saving for outreach, and other expenses. If you would pray about becoming a supporter, that would be well appreciated. I will be sending newsletter's out soon via mail, will try and begin an e-mail newsletter soon, as well as posting blog updates, Instagram, and Facebook. 
You can go to my support link found on my Homepage of this blog. 
I have my support running thru YWAM El Paso, TX - Simply because it is the main headquarter for all YWAM supporters in the U.S. and if I switch bases or move around I don't have to change my support location each time. It gives me the freedom to either be in Hawaii for a bit and move to Orange County, or somewhere else, without having to have a one year+ commitment. Which is great, because YWAM Ships OC will most likely be jumping back and forth between a few bases. 

If you need any information or have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me! Even $10 a month for laundry is appreciated! 
E-mail me at taylerswaim@yahoo.com

------------------------

Another thing I'd love to share with you!
A few weeks ago we were having corporate worship and the children were invited on stage to "teach us old people how to loosen up!" It was the Monday after the CT. shooting at the Elementary school.


As my good friend Phil Cunningham pointed out, there were 20 children running across the stage. A few days prior 20 children lost their lives, this morning 20 children danced with life. I believe it was an amazing revelation and picture of those 20 dancing with Jesus who perished in Newtown, CT.

-------------------------

I also completed a 5 day "Lemonade Fast" which I would TOTALLY recommend to you!
Basically mix a drink containing cayenne pepper, fresh lemons and maple syrup. Drink nothing but that for 5 days, and feel amazingly refreshed and rejuvenated!
However, I do recommend you do a salt water flush the day before you begin. 
Google it, do it, love it.
And definitely do the measurements they suggest.. This was day #1, and I put a little bit too much cayenne pepper and maple syrup.. Legitly thought I was going to puke.
Stephanie got quite a kick out of me chugging this..

-----------------------------

Also! I have been introduced to a legit new friend named Ollie. 
Ollie is one of the most free spirited fun dudes I've ever met and he hung out on base during our transition weeks. He has a truck and loves to go to the beach! We hit up Mile 88 last weekend, which was soo fun. Madison, Ollie, Isaac and I spent the day body surfing, learned how to safely swim out past the two breaks, waded in the water and got scared of talking about sharks, and learned how to skim board! 


Slight success

Don't try and go against the wind.. You go nowhere


Never have had so much sand in my hair, ever!

Pretty legit day, super blessed.

-------------------------

As I've said previously, I've gotten back in to running! I just wanted to share this photo because it's fun :)

This is Brad. Brad was my 5 am running partner.
He lost 20 pounds running in the mornings! Wish I could say the same..
But it was funny because we got injured A LOT, he continuously had shin splints, and my knee continued to act up.

If you would like to donate to my Running Shoes Fund, you can also email me about that ;)
Haha

---------------------------

I believe that is my update for the day! I am hoping I can update this again here in a few days!
Tomorrow we will have our Welcoming Ceremony by the flags, walk all the students around the campus, have our Aloha Dinner, our Aloha Ceremony at night, have a beach day Saturday and then begin another round of lecture phase on Monday!
I could use some prayer, just to stay focused and have my whole heart in this school.
It's definitely hard feeling so attached to my first students, because I absolutely love and adore each of them. I'm stoked to get to know these guy's for sure, but definitely need to refocus a bit. 
Most people staff one or two schools a year. It's pretty crazy to staff back to back, because it is so emotional and intense. My first school left less than 10 days ago and now I'm being introduced to heaps of young men and women who are on fire to grow and learn! I want to keep my eyes focused on Christ and not be half in. 
Thank you for walking along this journey with me. 
Encouragement and support are always accepted!
Love! 
xo



No comments:

Post a Comment